Shot Hole Borer

The polyphagous shot-hole borer (PSHB) is now in the Perth Metro area, threatening trees. Report any signs of the Polyphagous Shot Hole Borer here

Close alert

Neighbourhood Noise and Complaints

​​​​​​​The Environmental Protection Act 1986 and the Environmental Protection (Noise) Regulations 1997 are administered by local government. They aim to protect people from unnecessary noise while carrying out business and social activities. ​

Unreasonable noise refers to the duration, frequency and time of day the noise is emitted as well as interference with the health, welfare, convenience, comfort or amenity of the complainant. 

If you are experiencing noise disturbance, you can try to speak to the person that is causing the noise as soon as the problem arises, expressing your case honestly and respectfully. In many instances, they are unaware that they are causing a problem and may remedy the situation. ​

Otherwise, you may need to consider approaching the City of Kwinana or the local Police to investigate your situation. If the matter is related to antisocial behaviour such as domestic violence, swearing and threatening behaviours, please contact the local Police on 131 444. 

Typical noise sources that the City of Kwinana Environment and Health Services can assist in investigating include:

  • party noise, loud stereos;
  • practice of musical instruments;
  • lawn mowers, power tools and other devices;
  • air-conditioners, pool pumps, spas, heaters;
  • construction noise; and
  • bird noise and roosters.

Note: For dog barking complaints, please contact the City Assist team on 9439 0200

Construction Noise

Noise from construction work is allowed from 7am to 7pm, Monday to Saturday (not including Sundays and public holidays).​

For 'out of hours' construction work prior to 7am or after 7pm Monday to Saturday, or on Sundays and public holidays, consideration for a permit may be given to the following circumstances:

  • where there is a possibility that the community may be negatively impacted upon by the noise the application is based on, for example, the delivery of an oversized plant or structure, emergency works, maintenance, repair or works of public infrastructure, or public infrastructure works; or
  • where the applicant can demonstrate that no one within the community will be adversely impacted by the construction work.

The builder must submit an Application for Approval of Out of Hours Construction Work with associated fees and a Noise Management Plan at least 10 days prior to construction starting. The plan must be approved by the City. 

When construction work is carried out during ‘out of hours’ without an approved noise management plan or other noise are being emitted at the construction site, the City will assess if the noise being emitted from the construction site is considered to be unreasonable under Section 79 of the Environmental Protection Act 1986. Penalties may apply if noise is found to be unreasonable.

It should be noted that work which does not create unreasonable noise is permitted outside these times as are other activities such as workers arriving at site and unloading material or tools provided they are not creating excessive noise.

Residential equipment​

Residential equipment can be used between 7am to 7pm Monday to Saturday and 9am to 7pm Sundays/public holidays. Lawnmowers, chainsaws, power tools etc can be used for a maximum of two hours in any day. Musical instruments can be used for a maximum of one hour in any day. However, use of equipment must still be reasonable. ​


The City recommends attempting to resolve matters amicably with your neighbour where possible. If unsuccessful, you can make a formal noise complaint by completing the Noise Complaint Form. The form includes a log sheet. It is recommended that you complete the log sheet with as much detail possible. This will ensure that the matter can be handled promptly.

When lodging a complaint to the City of Kwinana Environment and Health Services, you maybe requested to complete a noise log sheet for a period of time to assist the matter of investigation. 

Further information:

Traffic, Rail and Aircraft Noise

Noise by vehicular traffic, trains and aircrafts is not covered by the Environmental Protection (Noise) Regulations.

For aircraft craft noise, please contact Airservices Australia Noise Complaints and Information Service Hotline on 1800 802 584.

For traffic noise on major roads, please contact Main Roads WA on 138 138.

For noise relating to passenger trains, please contact Public Transport Authority on 13 62 13

Alarms Noise

Police have the power to gain entry and deactivate house or car alarms if they have been emitting unreasonable noise for more than 30 minutes. Please contact the Police on 131 444.

Share this page

How can we improve our website?Expand
Was this page helpful?

Do you require a response from the City of Kwinana?

Please confirm your identity