Responsible Dog Ownership

Having a dog in your life can be a wonderful experience. You will need to spend time exercising and training your dog. To keep your dog safe and in good health your dog should have access to clean water, a safely enclosed backyard and regular visits to the vet to keep vaccinations up to date.

Infringements (on the spot fines) may be issued by the City for a number of offences, such as:

  • failing to register and/or have your dog microchipped;
  • not picking up your dog’s poo;
  • walking your dog without a lead in a public place and
  • not having proper control of your dog.

Dog owner responsibilities

  • All dogs over three months of age must have a microchip and have current registration
  • Dog registrations cannot be accepted without a microchip
  • Ensure your dog wears a collar and registration tag when in a public place
  • Ensure your dog's collar includes your name and address (owner)
  • Engage and train your dog so that its behaviour does not become a nuisance
  • Remove your dog’s excreta from public places such as beaches, parks and footpaths
  • Observe special conditions for owning a greyhound or a Dangerous Dog (restricted breed, declared or security) dog
  • Ensure your dog is under control at all times, including in dog exercise areas, rural, and public places.
  • Pensioner discounts apply to holders of a current Pensioner Concession Card, State Concession Card or a Veterans Card or a Commonwealth Seniors Card together with a Seniors Card but must be produced at the time of payment

Request to keep more than two dogs

The keeping of more than two dogs on your property requires written approval from the City.

If you have more than two dogs staying permanently at your home and would like to apply, please contact the City’s Customer Service Team on 9439 0200 or, for a copy of the application form.

Please complete the application form in full and submit to the City’s Administration building and pay the non-refundable application fee.

Keeping more than 5 (five) dogs on your property is considered a kennel within the definition of the Dog Act 1976 which may require additional approvals from the City.

Microchipping your dog

The Dog Act 1976 requires all dogs over the age of three months to be microchipped and registered with their local government.

All dog owners upon a dog being microchipped must also provide the microchip details to the City when registering their dogs. 

Microchipping your dog allows the City to identify and contact the owner of the dog should the dog escapes a property and wanders in public areas or other properties.

It is the dog owner’s responsibility to ensure owners contact details are updated with their relevant microchip registry.

Please ensure to keep registration and contact details updated with that relevant authority. 

How do I microchip my dog?

Microchipping can be carried out by your local vet. A dog may be exempt from microchipping if a vet issues a certificate stating that implanting a microchip may adversely affect the health or welfare of that dog.

What happens if I don’t microchip my dog?

Under the Dog Act 1976, it is mandatory for all dog owners to microchip their dog if it is over three months old. Penalties may apply for not microchipping your dog.

How do I register the microchip number

During registration process, the City will require proof of microchip and microchip number to record against dog registration details to ensure the City is able to identify and contact the dog owner.


You may apply for an exemption if your dog has a vet certificate stating that implanting a microchip may adversely affect the health or welfare of your dog.

Please provide a copy of the vet certificate to the City by email to or in person to the City’s Administration Offices on Corner Gilmore Avenue and Sulphur Road, Kwinana WA 6167

Dog sterilisation

Sterilising your dog is a great way to reduce ongoing concerns in relation to unwanted dogs within the community. It also assists in preventing undesirable behaviours caused by the heat cycle and impacts on other dogs in the area.

There are a few medical and behavioural benefits for sterilised dogs and the monetary benefits paying a reduced registration fee during registration.

For more information contact your local vet about sterilisation..

Dog Sterilisation Refund Form

If your dog is registered with the City and has recently been sterilised, you may be eligible for a partial refund of the registration costs. Contact the City’s Administration Offices on Corner Gilmore Avenue and Sulphur Road, Kwinana WA 6167.  Please note you must provide proof of sterilisation.

Change to your dog’s registration details

If you or your dog's information changes, please contact the City’s Administration Offices on Corner Gilmore Avenue and Sulphur Road, Kwinana WA 6167.
It is important that you let the City know if any of the following changes occur: 

  • You have a new address, phone number or email 
  • Your alternate contact person or their number has changed 
  • Your dog has a new owner 
  • Your dog is now sterilised. A signed Sterilisation Certificate is required
  • You are now a Senior or Pensioner. Proof required
  • Death of a dog

Dog excreta (poo)

If your dog excretes, (does a poo) on a street or in a public place, you must remove and appropriately dispose of it.  Should you fail to collect and remove your dog’s excreta (poo) this may result in the issuing of penalties. 

Contact Us 

Please contact the City for more information on 9439 0200 or email, visit us in person City’s Administration Offices on Corner Gilmore Avenue and Sulphur Road, Kwinana WA 6167

Share this page

How can we improve our website?Expand
Was this page helpful?

Do you require a response from the City of Kwinana?

Please confirm your identity