Easter Long Weekend

Please be advised that the City administration building and several City facilities will be closed for the Easter long weekend from Friday, 7 April through to Monday, 10 April (inclusive). 

Bins will not be collected on Good Friday (Friday, 7 April), residents impacted are advised to place their bins out on Saturday, 8 April by 6am. Collection for Easter Monday (10 April 2023) and the ANZAC Day Public Holiday (25 April 2023) remain unchanged, for any enquiries please contact 1300 293 955.

We look forward to seeing you again from Tuesday, 11 April. 

Close alert

Rates Appeals and Objections

Find out about rates appeals and objections, including objections to a rates notice, Rate Book entry or property evaluation.

Object to a rates notice

Each rate notice details the characteristics of:

  • The property zone (i.e. its legal zoning as per the Council’s Town Planning Scheme)
  • The land status (i.e. whether the property is improved or vacant). ​

Any ratepayer can object in writing to the City if the zoning of the property or land status is incorrectly shown on the rates notice.

Object to a Rate Book entry

The Rate Book, which is maintained annually, contains the following details:

  • The full names of the property owners
  • The Gross Rental Value (GRV) valuation of each property 
  • The amount of rates levied. ​

Any ratepayer can object in writing to the City if the ownership details, GRV valuation or amount of rates levied is incorrectly shown in a Rate Book entry.                                                                                                     

Objections to the Rate Book must be made within 42 days of the date of issue.

The City will consider each objection and provide a prompt written response.

Appeal a property valuation

A ratepayer may lodge an appeal against the valuation of a property within 60 days of date of issue of the rate notice. An objection can be on grounds that a valuation is unfair, inequitable or incorrect.

An objection to a valuation should:

  • Be made in writing
  • Give a full description of the property
  • Clearly state the reasons for the objection.

Revaluation and interim rates

Whenever a new valuation is received from the Valuer General, the City is required by legislation to apply that valuation and reassess the rates levied for that property.

Any amount already levied for the financial year is taken into account when calculating interim rates. An interim rate notice for the difference is raised.

A copy of the interim notice will be sent to any settlement agents involved at the time. Settlement agents often hold monies in trust to pay rates. Contact your settlement agent if this is the case.

Lodge an objection/appeal

Objections should be lodged directly to the Valuer General, this can be done online or via post.

The online objection form is now available on Landgate’s webpage Lodging an Objection.

You can also send by post to the Valuer General’s Office:

PO BOX 2222


Phone: 9273 7373

Rates exemption application

Some organisations may be eligible to apply for a rates exemption, as outlined in Section 6.26(2) of the Local Government Act 1995.

Eligible organisations include charities, religious schools, government agencies, crown land, religious bodies, and those stated in other written law or for Local Government Minister approval.

To apply for a rates exemption, please complete the rates exemption form and submit it, along with supporting documentation, to rates@kwinana.wa.gov.au. A formal written response will be issued following the assessment of your application. 

Please note that rates exemptions will remain in place unless specific details of the exemption change, or until the next review period, usually between 1-3 years. In the review period, it will be determined if the exemption will be continued. 

More information

For further information about lodging an objection or appeal visit the Landgate website​.

For general information about rates please contact us on 9439 0200 or email rates@kwinana.wa.gov.au.​

How can we improve our website?Expand
Was this page helpful?

Do you require a response from the City of Kwinana?

Please confirm your identity