The City of Kwinana encourages everyone that is eligible to make their vote count by participating in the election of their preferred local representative. Postal votes are sent by the Western Australian Electoral Commission approximately three weeks prior to Election day.
- The City of Kwinana has eight Elected Members who represent the City as a whole.
- Local government elections are generally held every two years on the third Saturday in October.
- The City of Kwinana uses the postal voting system. Full details are mailed to all eligible voters prior to an election.
- Elected Members are elected for a four year term with half of the Elected Members' terms ending at each biennial election.
- The Mayor and Deputy Mayor are elected from within Council.
- An extraordinary election may be held between general elections should a council seat become vacant.
Persons eligible to be enrolled to vote must be over the age of 18 years, be an Australian Citizen and be ordinarily resident in the State of WA or be the owner or occupier of rateable property within the City of Kwinana.
State Electoral Roll
You are already enrolled to vote in elections for the electorate in which you live if you are on the State electoral roll as a resident of that address.
If you’ve lived in the City of Kwinana for more than three months, you’re eligible for inclusion on the State Electoral Roll.
If you are not already on the State Electoral Roll and meet the eligibility criteria, visit the Western Australian Electoral Commission website to obtain an application form.
The ‘first past the post’ system is used for Local Government elections, in which electors indicate the candidate, or candidates, of their choice by placing a tick in the box opposite the names of the chosen persons, up to the number of vacancies to be filled, with candidates being elected in order of the number of votes they receive.
Details of past and forthcoming elections at the City may be found at the website of the Western Australian Electoral Commission.
Owner Occupier Enrolment
If you are an owner or occupier of a Kwinana property and you are enrolled on the State roll as living outside the District, or if you are not on any other roll but meet the eligibility criteria you must apply to be placed on the local roll by lodging an enrolment form at the City of Kwinana Administration Building.
A body corporate which owns or occupies rateable property may nominate two persons who are on either the State or Commonwealth electoral rolls to enrol as owner/occupier electors.
There are several provisions which relate to occupiers of property and to persons who are not enrolled on the State rolls. Please note that if you are unsure of your eligibility status please contact the City of Kwinana’s Council Administration Officer well in advance of any Council election or check your enrolment at the Western Australian Electoral Commission website.
Electoral Gift Register
All candidates are subject to the electoral gift requirements of the Local Government (Elections) Regulations 1997, including candidates who are current Council members.
Electoral gifts need to be disclosed either -
- within 3 days of nomination if the gift is received, made or promised prior to the candidates nomination, or
- within 3 days of the gift being received, made or promised once the candidate has nominated.
A gift is an electoral gift for the purposes of the Local Government (Elections) Regulations 1997 where -
- the gift relates to the candidate’s candidature, and
- the value of the gift is $200 or more, or it is one of two or more gifts made by one person during the disclosure period with a total value of $200 or more.
Electoral gift donors are closely associated persons under the Act. Prior to accepting any electoral gifts, candidates should consider how the acceptance may affect their ability to participate in future decision-making processes.
Electoral gifts do not include the provision of volunteer labour, gifts by will, or gifts by a relative (as defined by section 5.74(1) of the Act).
Frequently Asked Questions