Shot Hole Borer

The polyphagous shot-hole borer (PSHB) is now in the Perth Metro area, threatening trees. Report any signs of the Polyphagous Shot Hole Borer here

Close alert

Household Hazardous Waste and Disposal Sites

Household Hazardous Waste (HHW) is the unwanted products that were used in and around the home that are flammable, toxic, reactive or corrosive. This waste does not belong in any bin as it is dangerous and can harm workers, cause fires in trucks and at our facility.

Disposal of Hazardous Waste

Unwanted household chemicals and other hazardous waste can be dropped off at the Millar Road Landfill (City of Rockingham) and Henderson Waste Recovery Park (City of Cockburn).

The Household Hazardous Waste (HHW) Program provides funding for the collection and appropriate disposal of HHW collected. At these sites, residents may drop off HHW for free. Please contact facilities directly to find what items they take for free.

Accepted materials through the HHW Program:

  • Acids and alkalis
  • Aerosols
  • Batteries (household)
  • Engine coolants and glycols
  • Fire extinguishers - non halon (red) only
  • Flammables
  • Flares
  • Fluorescent lamps and tubes
  • Gas cylinders (small household)
  • Household chemicals (e.g. cleaners)
  • Pesticides/herbicides
  • Poisons/toxics
  • Pool chemicals
  • Smoke detectors
  • Unknown chemicals (must be in sealed, chemical resistant containers).

Only domestic quantities, capped at 20kg/20L per material type will be accepted and only from households.

This program is supported with funding from the State Government through the Waste Avoidance and Resource Recovery Account and administered by the Waste Authority.

Handling Hazardous Waste

Handling of HHW must be done with care. Ensure you:

  • Always handle hazardous waste carefully and avoid direct contact
  • Wear protective equipment where possible and wash hands after handling
  • Keep products in original containers where possible
  • Label materials that are not in their original container
  • Do not mix materials as they may react violently
  • Keep flammable products out of direct sunlight and away from sources of heat, sparks, flames or ignition
  • If container is damaged or leaking, place it within a larger container with a tightly fitting lid. Label outer container with contents
  • When transporting hazardous materials, ensure they are stored securely in a box or crate so they will not fall over and leak
  • Do not leave household hazardous waste in a hot car

Read about the Household Hazardous Waste program


Sharps should not be placed in either of your kerbside bins.  They should be placed in an approved sharps container and disposed of at one of the following locations.

For further information on community medical sharps please see the Diabetes WA Factsheet.

Should you find a needle or syringe in the community contact the City on 9439 0200 or email

For more information on sharps please visit


Residents and painters can drop off their unused paint in secure containers for free under the following conditions:

  • Maximum of 100 litres per visit
  • Containers no larger than 20 litres - containers will not be returned.

More information about Paintback, how it works, where you can dispose of it and how paint is recycled is available at Paintback.

Motor Oil

Residents can drop off their old oil in secure containers for free at Henderson Waste Recovery Park or Millar Road Landfill and Recycling Facility. Please contact your local landfill facility directly if you have any questions regarding this program.

Domestic quantities, capped at 20kg/20L will be accepted from residential households only.


Mobile Phones

The City of Kwinana work with Hello Initiative to recycle and refurbish smartphones.

Hello Initiative liaises with community partners to identify young people who would benefit from more reliable access to mobile technology, providing people with refurbished phones with access to unlimited calls and texts as well as mobile data.

Ensure you:

  • Backup all data
  • Disable accounts
  • Factory reset your phone
  • Donate at your local library

Alternately, you can dispose your mobile phones for free at any participating supermarket. To find your nearest mobile phone drop off point, please go to 'Find My Nearest' on the Recycle Right website.

Solar Panels

You can now recycle your old solar panels through WA Solar Recycling. WA Solar Recycling work on the premise of repurpose first and only recycle when an item is truly at the end of its life.

WA Solar Recycling accepts:

  • Solar panels
  • Solar mounting rail and components
  • Solar inverters
  • Cables from solar units

Disposal of these items is free, and if your items are in working condition, WA Solar Recycling may even pay you a small payment to take these units off your hands.

Drop off location: 104B Gavour Road Wattle Grove

Pick up services available.

Visit WA Solar Recycling for more information.

Other E-Waste

You can dispose of your old E-waste at local landfills and recycling facilities for free. Contact Millar Road Landfill (City of Rockingham) and Henderson Waste Recovery Park (City of Cockburn) for more information. Conditions apply.

How E-Waste Recycling Works 

How Asset Recovery and Data Destruction Works


Asbestos is a naturally occurring fibrous crystalline mineral, found in rock formations. Generally, undisturbed asbestos cement products do not pose a health risk as the fibres are bound together in a solid cement matrix. However, if the material is damaged or disturbed, fibres may be released into the air.

The use of power tools for cutting, drilling, grinding, sanding or sawing the material can release a significant number of fibres. The use of high-pressure water blasters to clean the material prior to painting can also release large numbers of fibres so it's important to never perform these activities.

In most cases, the presence of asbestos cement building materials in a home (ie. a dividing fence) is no cause for alarm. If the materials are in good condition and are not disturbed, they do not present a health hazard. Disturbing the material (ie. by removal) may create a health hazard where none previously existed.

Any person handling and disposing of asbestos is required to comply with the requirements of the Health (Asbestos) Regulations 1992

Businesses contracted to remove greater than 10m2 or 10 sheets of asbestos are required by WorkSafe WA to hold an asbestos removal licence. Please refer to the WorkSafe website​ for a list of restricted and unrestricted licence holders.

The Asbestos Containing Material (ACM) Check is a phone application developed by Curtin University. This application will help you identify possible ACMs around and inside your home. Download this phone application through Apple Store or Google Play.  

Asbestos online training

The Cancer Council WA and the Department of Health have launched a free online course on asbestos, where home renovators and DIYers can learn more about asbestos-related diseases and locating, safely handling and disposing of asbestos.

Register on the Cancer Council website today.

Asbestos Disposal

Please contact the Millar Road Landfill and Recycling Facility on 9528 8550 or Henderson Waste Recovery Park on 9411 3444 for fees payable and procedures for correct disposal.

Asbestos will not be accepted if it is not double wrapped in heavy duty plastic and clearly marked.

More information

The Health (Asbestos) Regulations 1992 is the main piece of legislation used by the City to regulate asbestos. Find out more about asbestos regulation.

Refer to Worksafe WA for workplace asbestos management issues.

Share this page

How can we improve our website?Expand
Was this page helpful?

Do you require a response from the City of Kwinana?

Please confirm your identity