Fire break and bushfire prevention
In accordance with the City’s Fire Break Notice, fire breaks must be installed and maintained in rural areas from 1 December up to and including 31 March. Urban areas must comply with the fire notice all year round.
For fire break variations, please complete and submit the application form to vary fire break type and location.
For more information about the City's Fire Notice, please see the Fire Notice FAQs.
- Create a 20-metre building protection zone around your property.
- Clear the area of rubbish, long grass and other materials that could catch fire.
- Protect your house from ember attack by fitting wire screens and shutters.
- Block any gaps under the floor, roof, eaves, external vents, skylights, chimneys and wall cladding.
- Have an emergency water supply that is independent of mains water supply.
- Discuss fire prevention and preparedness with your family and neighbours.