Permits and Applications

​​​​​​​​​​​​Building Permit

​​​A building permit is required for all structure (residential, commercial or industrial) including, but not limited to - new works, alterations, additions, swimming pools, spas (below and above ground), safety barriers (fencing) for pools and spas, patios and sheds.

The following requirements are applicable to every building permit application:

  1. All Building Commission forms i.e. BA1, BA2 and BA7, requiring a builder’s signature will only be accepted if signed by the registered builder listed on the Building Commission website. No other signatures or authority to sign on their behalf will be accepted.   

  2. Site plans submitted in support of any type of building approval are to be clear and legible, devoid of any previous approvals or stamps, clearly show all existing structures and define the new proposed works. See Building Application Drawing Requirements

  3. All roofed structures requiring a building permit will require stamped/signed engineered drawings supporting the application regardless of the material, size or span. Gutter size, downpipe location and soakwell capacity should also be shown.     

  4. All glass pool barriers will require stamped/signed engineered drawings to support the application identifying the glass selection, connections, in ground fixings and hardware.  

For full details,​ read the Conditions to be Placed on Building Permits.

For further information, or to provide feedback, please email.

​Application Form

Building Permit Application forms can be downloaded via the Building Commission of Western Australia website.​

Further Information

To find out more, see When is a Building Permit Required?​​​​

Verge Permit

The City recognises that during the construction and development of properties, there is a need to use the space on verge areas while construction is taking place. Equally, costly damage to City property in the road reserve area such as the road pavement, kerbs, footpaths, drains, street trees and plants is often caused by building and/or demolition works. 

For more information, see Verge P​ermits​​​ and Verge Permit Brochure​​​.​​

Occupancy Permits

All buildings that are of Classes 2-9 including buildings other than single residential dwellings Class 1 and appurtenant outbuildings/non-habitable Class 10 buildings, require an Occupancy Permit prior to the building being occupied. ​

Demolition Permits

​Any person demolishing a building or part of a building/structure must ensure that they obtain a Demolition Permit prior to commencing any demolition works.

For more information, see When is a Demolition Permit Required?​ and Demolition Information Sheet​​.​

Strata Title Applications

A strata title is a means of dividing up a property title to allow for multiple ownership. 

The Local Authority, in this instance the City of Kwinana, only forms a part of the approval process for having a Strata Plan lodged with Landgate for their endorsement and issue of the Strata Titles.​

For more information, see What is a Strata Title?​ ​​

Retrospective approval

If you have done building work without prior approval, or purchased a property with unauthorised structure/s, you may be able to submit an application to obtain retrospective approval from the City. 


Signs and Hoardings​

A Building Permit is necessary prior to the erection of a sign other than some exempt signs as described in the Local Law​.

To obtain a Building Permit, it is necessary to submit to the City's Building Department a copy of sign construction, sign writing and the proposed location of the sign on the site together with a Sign Licence Application Form​.

What type of approval is required?​

Depending on the type of sign/advertising that is proposed, a Building Permit and a Sign Licence may be required, and in some instances a Planning Approval may also need to be obtained.

Some signs can be constructed without any approvals if the Building and Planning Legislation exempts them. Such exemptions are dependent on size, location and sign face of the proposed sign/advertising device and the zoning of the land the sign will be erected on.

For further information, please contact the City's Building Services on 9439 0208.​​

Useful information for Builders

As a general rule, most building work​​ and certain changes of use require approval. To request a Consultation prior to lodging your application please contact Building Services.

Building Work includes, but not limited to the removal of internal walls, the installation of fittings, the replacement of windows and doors containing glazing, constructing rooms in roof spaces and the construction of garages and extensions.

Page reviewed: 21 Jan 2020 4:20pm