Rates FAQ


COVID19 and Rates

The City of Kwinana Council unanimously voted, at its electronic Council meeting on Wednesday, 22 April 2020, in favour of not increasing its total rate income from last year by applying a zero percent rates increase for this year to try and help alleviate some of the financial burden being faced by residents in the face of COVID-19.

If you are facing financial hardship due to COVID19 and you're not sure how you will pay your rates, you can read the Financial Hardship Policy or contact us to discuss your situation​.

Where do I find information on this year's​​ rates?

​​​You can find information about the 2020/21 rates and key projects for the year in the 2020/21 Budget and Rates Booklet​​​. 

Watch this short video to find out more about rates in the City of Kwinana.

​​​Visit the City's Youtube channel​ to view the full suite of videos about rates in the City.

What are rates and why do I pay them?

Rates are annual fees paid by residents for living in a particular area. It's typical for local governments throughout Australia to charge rates.

Rates are a simple and effective way of paying for the development and improvement of vital infrastructure, such as roads, footpaths, parks, libraries and leisure centres - just to name a few.

Read more about what your rates pay for​.​

How are rates calculated?

Rates are based on two factors - the valuation of each property as assessed by the Valuer General (a division of Landgate - a State Government Department), and the rate in the dollar set by Council each year at budget time. Based on valuation, rates are calculated and an Annual Rate Notice is generated and issued. 

The annual rates for each property are calculated by multiplying the applicable rate in the dollar by the valuation (GRV or UV) of the property – subject to the Minimum Payment. 

Rates = Applicable Differential Rate in the Dollar x Gross Rental Value OR Unimproved Value.

What is GRV?

The Gross Rental Value (GRV) is the fair rental value of a property, as determined by the Valuer General, and is an estimate of how much it could be expected to receive if the property was rented.​

What is UV?

​The Unimproved Value (UV) is the market value of a property under normal sales conditions and is determined as though the property remains in its original, natural state, excluding any buildings or other improvements.​​

What different payment methods are available?

View full details on the different payment methods available.

Instalments are offered to all ratepayers on the rate notice (with associated instalment interest and administration charges as set by Council - current rates due by registered pensioners are excluded).

Instalments are 2 months apart. Ratepayers may elect to pay by the 2 or 4 instalment option simply by paying the amount of the first instalment by the due date shown on their annual rate notice. When such an election is made, reminder notices are sent to ratepayers 28 days before each subsequent instalment is due. Ratepayers who pay the first instalment late do not have the right to elect to pay by instalments - if this occurs; the City has the right to insist that rates are paid in full. 

Direct Debit Instalments are offered on a weekly or fortnightly basis as indicated on your Annual Rate Notice. An ad​ministration fee and penalty interest of 5.5% is applicable (registered pensioners / seniors excluded). Completed request forms must be returned to the City by the specified date on your rate notice.

Please contact the City if you have any queries regarding these payment options.

What opt​ions are available for pensioners and seniors?

Pleas​e see the ​​​​Pensioner and​​ Senior Concessions page​.

What is the Emergency Services Levy?

The Emergency Services Levy (ESL) is a Sta​​​te Government charge which is forwarded to the Department of Fire and Emergency Services (DFES). DFES funds Western Australia’s fire and emergency services including all career Fire and Rescue Service, Volunteer Fire and Rescue Service, Bush Fire Brigades, SES units and DFES units throughout WA. For further information, visit the DFES website or phone 1300 136 099. Pensioners or Seniors who are eligible for a concession will also be entitled to a similar concession on the Emergency Services Levy.​​​

Where do I find the City's fees and charges?

​​You can see a comprehensive list of the fees and charges set by the City for the 2019/20 financial year on the ​​Publications and Reports page.​​

How do I change my address?

Please complete our Change of Address Form.​​

Page reviewed: 20 Jul 2020 5:53pm