Shot Hole Borer

The polyphagous shot-hole borer (PSHB) is now in the Perth Metro area, threatening trees. Report any signs of the Polyphagous Shot Hole Borer here

Close alert

Building Compliance and Certification

Find all the information you need in regards to building compliance and certification requirements. 

Building Permit Drawing Requirements

An application for a building permit must be accompanied by appropriate drawings. For more information, see the Building Application Drawing Requirements.​ ​​

Conversion from Non Habitable to Habitable use

The primary requirement for a habitable room is to ensure moisture does not enter into the structure through the floor the roof and the walls. The National Construction Code - Building Code of Australia (NCC – BCA) specifies the manner by which this can be achieved and will normally necessitate modifications and additional works to be carried out to the existing patio or enclosure. 

Most existing patios and non-habitable enclosures do not achieve many of the requirements. It is usual that major modifications are necessary to achieve the requirements of the NCC - BCA for a room to be used for habitable purposes.

For additional information, see Converting a Patio into a Habitable Room​.

Floor Level Subject to Water Level

If you are building a dwelling or other habitable building in suburbs or locations zoned as Rural or Special Rural, it may be necessary that you contact the City's Health Team and Planning Team to establish the minimum floor level based on the high water table.

Generally the floor level should be not less than 2M over the high water table.

The water table may also affect the septic system which inadvertently may influence the pad height for the dwelling. Contact a Health Officer for further information regarding this matter on 9439 0200.

Hazardous Substances and Asbestos

Hazardous items around the home can be dangerous to the environment and to people. ​Please visit the waste disposal page for important safety information.

Building Applications

As a general rule, most building work​​ and certain changes of use require approval. To request a Consultation prior to lodging your application please contact Building Services via email or on 9439 0200.

Residential Fences (excluding Dividing Fences)

A front fence includes a wall, screen, retaining wall or the like located in the front setback area of a property.​

When is Council approval required?

A building permit from the City is required if the proposed front fence height exceeds 1200mm in a Residential Zone.

Please note that an application for a building permit application must be submitted:

  • if a solid front fence exceeds 1.2m in height; or 
  • if a solid front fence is more than 750mm in height and is located within 1.5m of any driveway.

In all instances, all fencing materials must comply with the City of Kwinana Fencing Local Law​.

It should be noted that a front fence may also be a dividing fence between different properties. In such situations, the Dividing Fences Act 1961 may apply. You may need to discuss with your neighbour regarding your proposed front fence.

The City of Kwinana does not administer the Dividing Fences Act 1961. An online brochure

'Dividing Fences Guide' can be obtained from the DMIRS - Department of Building and Energy website.

Retaining Walls - Residential

Retaining walls are sometimes required to facilitate proposed ground levels on a lot.

If the proposed retaining wall is substantial, a building licence will need to be obtained from the City's Building Service prior to construction. In some instances, in addition to a building licence, a development approval may also need to be obtained from the City's Planning Service. 

Depending on the extent of the retaining works, a minor retaining wall may sometimes be constructed without the approval of the City. 

For further information, see Retaining Walls Residential Lots Information.

Smoke Alarms - Residential

New regulations came into effect as of the 1 ​​October 2009 that require mains powered smoke alarms to be fitted to homes that are subject to sale, lease or hire. ​​

For more information, see Smoke Alarms - Residential​ or the Department of Fire and Emergency Services.


Termites occur naturally throughout Australia and there are many species. Only a few species pose a major threat to buildings because they eat wood and other materials containing cellulose plant fibre. If left unchecked, they can destroy both the strength and appearance of timbers in buildings. 

Because the termite nest is often beneath the soil surface, entry into a building can go unnoticed as severe structural damage may take a long time to become visible. If termites are discovered on your property there is no need to panic but there is a need for further investigation by a registered pest control operator. The Building Code of Australia stipulates that all new buildings require some form of protection from termite entry.

For more information, see Treatment Against Entry of Termites.

What constitutes Building Works

Building Work includes, but not limited to the removal of internal walls, the installation of fittings, the replacement of windows and doors containing glazing, constructing rooms in roof spaces and the construction of garages and extensions

Share this page

How can we improve our website?Expand
Was this page helpful?

Do you require a response from the City of Kwinana?

Please confirm your identity