Other Animals and Insects


Is there a bee hive on Council verges or parks that requires removal? 

To report a bee hive please contact the City’s Opera​tions team on 9236 4350​ or by email.

Is there a bee problem in one of the reserves or bushland managed by the Council? 

To report a bee problem please contact the City’s Environment team on 9439 0200 or by email​.

​Do you have a bee hive on your property? 

To report a bee hive and organise safe removal, please contact a bee keeper or pest control operator to have the hive removed.

The City of Kwinana has local laws for keeping bees and only permits registered bee keepers to keep bee hives. If you would like to keep bee hives on your property you must apply for a bee keeping permit. 


If you are considering keeping poultry on your property, you will need to apply for approvals from City of Kwinana Environmental Health Services. Requirements vary depending on the zone of your land. Roosters, turkeys, geese, peacocks or peahens are not permitted on any residential premises.

Poultry must be kept in an enclosed area which is a nine metre setback from your house and your neighbours’ houses.

For residential areas, you may apply to keep up to 20 poultry. For rural and special rural areas, you may apply to keep more than 20 poultry up to maximum of 150 poultry.


To apply for the keeping of horses on your property, you must first apply for planning approval for the use of the land with a management plan for that same property. If you intend to have stables or shelters, as well as associated buildings and facilities, you must then apply for building approvals.

Aspects to consider include stocking rates, paddocks, stables, fencing, waste management, vegetation, pest control, stormwater management, fertiliser management and irrigation. These matters must be included in any management plan for the keeping of horses that may be required.

An application is to be made to City of Kwinana Environmental Health Services Department for consideration for registration of the equine premises. Assessment will be made in accordance with the Health (Keeping of Horses and Equine Premises) Local Laws 1997.

If a registered equine premise is proposed to be sold, the registered holder shall apply to Council Environmental Health Services to transfer the registration to the proposed owner within seven (7) days of the date of sale of the property. Variations to the stocking rates, existing structures will also require an application be submitted. 


Pigeons shall be kept in accordance with the Code of Practice for Pigeon Keeping and Racing in Western Australia and the City of Kwinana Local Law No. 29B.

The maximum number of pigeons must not exceed 20 unless you belong to a Pigeon Racing/Fancier’s Club and can provide current proof with the application. Written comments are required from all adjoining properties for land zoned under the Scheme for Grouped Housing. Building approvals are required if the enclosure, cage or loft is greater than 10m2 and/or 2.4m2 high.

​An application is to be made to City of Kwinana Environmental Health Services Department for registration of keeping of pigeons. 

​​Feral Pigeon Subsidy Scheme 

The City of Kwinana has introduced a program to help residents control feral pigeons on their property.

The City will provide a subsidy of up to $250 per premises towards one or both of the following eligible control measures (individual maximum limits apply).

Pigeon Control MeasuresDescriptionMaximum Subsidy Limits
Pigeon proofing
  • Materials and installation costs for netting (bird wire or mesh) and enclosing eaves.
  • Include labour cost for removal of pigeons from roof cavity by a licensed pest management technician*.
Up to $150
  • Costs for trapping by a licensed pest management technician*.
Up to $200

*Licensed pest management technicians are defined under the Health (Pesticides) Regulations 2011 and are registered with the WA Department of Health.

How do I qualify for the subsidy?

  • Must be a property in City of Kwinana.
  • One claim per household or property.
  • Works must have been completed and undertaken within no more than three months of the claim being lodged.
  • Account must be paid in full to the contractor or business. A copy of the account with a receipt showing description of the eligible goods and/ or services and the charges listed separately.​

Please note the following:

  • The City is unable to make recommendations for particular businesses or licensed pest management technicians. The City recommends that the applicant read the Department of Health's 'Guide to selecting a pest management business' before authorising the person to undertake any works.
  • The use of chemicals including pesticides are not supported by this Scheme.

To make application, please read and submit the Feral Pigeon Control Subsidy Scheme application form.

If you would like further information, please speak to the Environmental Health Department on 9439 0475.

Additional information:

Cows, Sheep, Pigs, Goats and other Livestock

Following approval from the City's Planning team, livestock may be permitted on rural properties within the City of Kwinana. Farm animals are NOT permitted in areas of the city zoned as 'Residential​​'. ​

Page reviewed: 25 Feb 2020 2:55pm