A community-driven project known as the Wellard Village 7 Day Makeover has won a third award this year, following the announcement of the WA Awards for Planning Excellence on Friday, 17 November.
The City of Kwinana and RAC won the Stakeholder Engagement category at the Planning Institute of Australia’s awards ceremony, for their involvement in the Makeover.
Mayor Peter Feasey said this award celebrated the innovative and collaborative approach taken by the City of Kwinana, in partnership with the team from RAC through their Reconnect WA initiative, and facilitated by David Engwicht from Creative Communities International, to inspire the local community to reimagine and revitalise the Wellard Village neighbourhood centre.
“This project demonstrates how residents can be empowered to transform their neighbourhood,” Mayor Feasey said.
“It also built enduring relationships among those from the community who participated, while the addition of new seating, play areas and a community piano continue to help patrons to linger longer in The Strand,” he said.
This multi award-winning project was also recognised at a State level by the Minister for Local Government’s Place Innovation Awards, receiving the Outstanding Achievement Award on 18 September.
The City of Kwinana also won the Partnership and Collaboration Award at the LG Professionals Awards on 8 November for the makeover project.
Mayor Feasey said this year had been a blockbuster year of awards for the City.
“This month Youth Worker Nikki Chatham won Professional Youth Worker of the Year at the WA Youth Work Awards, which is a great recognition for Nikki and the team at The Zone as they continue to support young people in the Kwinana area,” he said.
“Excelling City of Kwinana’s services, projects and staff members are putting Kwinana on the map this year.”
Awards presented in 2023:
- Kwinana Recquatic - Platinum Waterwise Centre of the Year; Employer of Choice (AUSactive National Awards); national finalist in the Leisure Centre of the Year Awards.
- City of Kwinana Healthy Lifestyles Program – AUSactive national Healthy Council of the Year Award; AUSactive WA People’s Choice Medium Sized Business.
- City Operations Centre extension – builder Construct 360 won the Master Builders Association WA Awards Best Government Building under $1.5 million.
- Wellard Village 7 Day Makeover – Planning Institute of Australia Stakeholder Engagement Award; Local Government Professionals Partnership and Collaboration Award; Minister for Local Government’s inaugural Outstanding Achievement Award.
- Jessie Carter - national David Aldous Emerging Leader Award.
- Director City Development and Sustainability Maria Cooke - Joint winner of Women in Planning WA Award.
- Nikki Chatham – Professional Youth Worker of the Year
- Staff team K-Town Navigators – won the Australasian Management Challenge run by Local Government Professionals.