Shot Hole Borer

The polyphagous shot-hole borer (PSHB) is now in the Perth Metro area, threatening trees. Report any signs of the Polyphagous Shot Hole Borer here

Close alert

Permits and Approvals

This page provides information on a range of essential permits and approvals that you may require prior to starting a business in the City of Kwinana. 

Planning approval

Planning approval (or development approval) is a legal document issued under the Planning & Development Act 2005, which allows land or buildings to be used for a specific purpose. The approval will also detail any conditions under which the land or buildings must be used.

You will need to find out if you require planning approval before you can start your new business:

  • Check that your proposed premises has current planning approval for how you intend to use it. For example, does your tenancy have approval to operate as a restaurant or is it currently approved for use as a shop?
  • Determine the suitability of the premises for your intended use, including zoning, parking requirements and other details relating to the use or works, including alterations and extensions to existing premises
  • Determine if the intended use or development of the premises is of the type that is exempted from the requirement for planning approval
  • If you wish to build new premises or alter or extend existing premises, you must submit a development application

To find out if your business is permissible, or if you require a planning approval for your intended use or development works, please see our development and subdivisions webpage.  Alternatively, for more information contact the City on 9439 0200 to speak to a planning officer.

Building permit

If you'd like to build or develop a premises for your business, but you don’t know what kind of building permit or approval you will require, please see our building webpage. Alternatively, for more information contact the City of 9439 0200 to speak to a building surveyor. 

Health approvals

Health approvals are required for buildings that will incorporate any of the following activities:

Please see the above linked webpages for more information, or speak with an Environmental Health Officer on 9439 0200.


Share this page

How can we improve our website?Expand
Was this page helpful?

Do you require a response from the City of Kwinana?

Please confirm your identity