Administration Building Refurbishment

The City will be commencing its refurbishment works to the customer service foyer at the administration building from 19 April – 14 June 2022. During this period, we would appreciate any customers wishing to make an enquiry to do so, where possible, either via phone 9439 0200 or email We apologise for any inconvenience caused.

Close alert
Food businesses

Food businesses

​​​​​​​​​​​​​The City of Kwinana Environment and Health Services team aims for the community to have a safe food supply. Throughout the year, Environmental Health Officers conduct routine inspections, routine food sampling, investigate food complaints, food recalls and food poisoning outbreaks. It’s important that proprietors of all food businesses comply with the relevant Food Safety Standards: 

Notification or registration requirement

All food businesses within the City must notify the City of Kwinana in writing if they conduct, or plan to conduct a food business. 

OFFENCE: Failure to notify or register under the Act may incur a fine of $10,000 for an individual and $50,000 for a body corporate.

New food business or taking over an existing food business – application forms

If you’re starting or taking over a food business, you must complete the relevant notification/registration forms. If you’re purchasing an existing food business, you may wish to lodge a property enquiry request or request an Authorised Officer conduct a pre-purchase inspection (fees apply). This will ensure you’re aware of any outstanding orders and requirements for the premises and the timelines that have been set for completion. 

Please ensure you obtain the relevant planning and building approvals before submitting your application.

Selling or shutting down your business? Please complete the Food Business Cancellation Form​.

Trading in public places – application forms

Mobile and temporary food businesses are required to comply with the City of Kwinana Activities in Thoroughfares and Public Places and Trading Local Law. If you hold an existing Certificate of Registration or Verification of Notification with another Local Council and would like to apply to trade at the City of Kwinana, you may submit the following application to the City of Kwinana Environment and Health Services along with a copy of your certificate of currency (public liability insurance). However, if you’d like to apply to trade at City of Kwinana approved community events, please check with the event organiser first before completing for the following applications and forms.​

Renovating or changing activities in a food business

Building approval may be required for the planned shop fit-out. Check with City of Kwinana building department by calling the City’s admin building on 9439 0200.

Any changes made to the activities carried out for the purposes of the food business that is likely to affect its priority classification will require a new notification to be submitted to the City of Kwinana Health Services. You must give notification required under Section 113 (1) of the Act within seven days after the relevant change takes place or may incur penalties of a fine of $20,000 for an individual or a fine of $100,000 for a body corporate. Please contact City of Kwinana Environment and Health Services on 9439 0475 for further information. ​​

F​ood safety and hygiene skills and knowledge

The City supports Environmental Health Australia's FoodSafe Food Handler Training Program. This in-house training program brings food hygiene and safety information to businesses through training and the implementation of record keeping. It is highly recommended that businesses complete this program to ensure they are meeting the obligations to produce safe food. ​

Complete the FoodSafe Food Handler Training Program through FoodSafe Online.

Use the City's unique discount voucher "FSKWINA344" on the payment page to receive FoodSafe Online free of charge.

Cooking for groups and ‘bring a plate’ activities

Tips on how to ensure the healthy production or sale of food as a part of a public event. For more information please contact us to speak to an Environmental Health Officer. 

Further information

How can we improve our website?Expand
Was this page helpful?