28 November 2016
We’re entering a prohibited fire period, which begins on 1 December each year and ends on 31 March the following year
During this time, no permits will be issued and burning is not permitted anywhere within the district.
Last year both career and volunteer fire services tended to more than 500 ‘000’calls for help from within the City of Kwinana. The bushfire season is always a busy period for the City’s two volunteer bushfire brigades - Kwinana South and Mandogalup - with most of their call outs occurring during this period.
If you haven’t prepared your property, now is the time.
In accordance with the City’s Fire Break notice, fire breaks must be installed and maintained from December 1 up to and including March 31. Steps include:
- creating a 20-metre building protection zone around your property that includes clearing the area of rubbish, long grass and other materials that could catch fire;
- protecting your house from ember attack by fitting wire screens and shutters;
- blocking any gaps under the floor, roof, eaves, external vents, skylights, chimneys and wall cladding;
- having an emergency water supply that is independent of mains water supply; and
- discussing fire prevention and preparedness with your family and neighbours.